Monday, March 15, 2010

Mike Auldridge - Walk Don't Run




Keeping with my previous post about slightly odd cover songs that veer from the true blue path here is something you don't hear everyday, a blue grass version of a stone cold classic, Walk Don't Run by The Ventures as done by A Mr. Mike Auldridge from the album called Blues and Blue Grass from 1974 on the Takoma label. I'm not much of a blue grass fan but this song is really pretty killer. They playing on it is pretty sensational. And if there is one thing i love it is a great cover song of a classic done in a totally different style that works. And this one to my ears works just fine.

Mr. Auldridge was born 30 December 1938, Washington, D.C. is widely acknowledged as a premier resophonic guitar (the instrument formerly referred to as a Dobro) player. He played with The Seldom Scene for many years, creating a fusion of bluegrass with jazz, folk and rock. Mr. Auldridge also has his hand in selling his signature model of Dobro guitars for Beard guitars these days

Cheers,
dd

Mike Auldridge - Walk Don't Run

3 comments:

Holly said...

Very unexpected .. and very nice - thank you !

Your driver said...

As a rule I hate virtuosity for it's own sake. I make an exception for bluegrass players. I like this kind of stuff in moderation. Even with bluegrass, I prefer players who are competent but... hell, I don't know... freaky. Danny Barnes, both as a solo and with the Bad Livers, comes to mind. One of the all time best punk rock shows I ever saw was actually a bluegrass set by the Meat Purveyors. They are prodigious pickers but they are also completely crazy.
Nice tune by the way. Thanks.

PosthuMouse said...

Fuck. Yes. Thanks for this.